Thursday, October 20, 2011

Makeup Hall of Fame: Foundations & Powders

Today in the Makeup Hall of Fame (and shame): Foundations and Powders. I prefer using a liquid or cream foundation, and set it with a finishing powder. I have tried almost every single foundation that exists, so I've definitely found some that I loooove! Most of these products are from Department stores but there are a couple from the drugstore too!

Here's my list, in no particular order:

Foundations: Department Store
Silk Creme Foundation
Laura Mercier
Price: $42.00

Okay, I know a $42 price tag for a foundation sounds extreme, but a little goes a LONG way with this foundation. My suggestion is to get yourself color matched at Sephora or a Laura Mercier counter. The consistency is very creamy and smooth, and the coverage it gives is amazing. A pea-sized amount is really all you need, and on good days you could definitely forget about the concealer with this.
Where to purchase: sephora.com, lauramercier.com, select Nordstrom & Macy's locations.

Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15
M-A-C Cosmetics
Price: $26.50

This is an old standard for me. No matter how many foundations I may have or try, I always end up going back to this one at some point. I do recommend purchasing the pump for it (it's $9.00 but it's only a one-time purchase since you can use it on your refill bottles) so you can control how much you are using. I find putting this on with your fingers and then blending into the skin with a foundation brush works best. The finish leaves you feeling very matte, which is a look I go for sine I have oily skin.
Where to purchase: maccosmetics.com, M-A-C store locations, select Macy's & Nordstrom locations.

Foundations: Drugstore
Magic Smooth Souffle
L'oreal Paris
Price: Varies by location ($12.99-$16.99)

The texture of this foundation is interesting. It is a lot smoother and creamier than Maybelline's cheaper version of the same thing. It blends instantly and you can barely feel it once it's on, but it covers well. Also, chances are you will end up a shade or two darker in the shade selection, so don't be afraid of that. It blends so well into the skin that getting a shade or two darker for yourself is actually a GOOD thing.
Where to purchase: ulta.com, drugstores

Revlon Colorstay
Revlon
Price: Varies by location ($9.99 - $13.99)

I have probably used this foundation a billion times since I first got into makeup when I was 12 years old. It's probably a good idea to wet a sponge and use that for application on this, because it is very heavy and you have to blend quickly since it has "color staying" power. It does last awhile, and there are tons of shades to choose from, AND two formulas: One for Normal/Dry and one for Combination/Oily.
Where to purchase: ulta.com, drugstores

Powders (Department Store Only)
The Amazing Face Powder Foundation
Too Faced Cosmetics
Price: $32.00

I hit pan forever ago on this, and I can't part with it yet. This stuff is amazing. I honestly could only use this on its own or over a tinted moisturizer, because using it over a heavy foundation would just be too much. It gives THAT much coverage, and for a powder, that's saying a lot.
Where to purchase: toofaced.com, sephora.com, ulta.com

Mineralize Skinfinish Natural
M-A-C Cosmetics
Price: $27.00

A few months ago I got my makeup done at a MAC counter and loved the way this felt on my skin over the Studio Fix fluid. It isn't too "powdery" and isn't too heavy. It also doesn't "wash you out". It's the perfect consistency to set your foundation and concealer.
Where to purchasemaccosmetics.com, M-A-C store locations, select Macy's & Nordstrom locations.


HALL OF SHAME - FOUNDATION

Some Kind-a Gorgeous
Benefit Cosmetics
Price: $29.00

If you want to feel like you have a huge oil slick on your face, and want to break out within 24 hours, I suggest putting this on. If you DON'T want to feel that way, then I suggest staying away from it.
Where to purchase: Google it, but don't say I didn't warn you.

HALL OF SHAME - POWDER
Clean Pressed Powder, Normal Skin
Covergirl Cosmetics
Price: Varies by location ($5.99-$8.99)

This stuff does absolutely nothing. It gives zero coverage, washes you out, and smells like perfume. If that isn't enough to convince you not to purchase it, then I don't know what else to say.
Where to purchase: Obviously the drugstore, but ew.

0 comments:

Post a Comment