Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Makeup Hall of Fame: Face Primers!

As everyone knows, I'm a huge makeup fan. Love everything about it, have tons of it and have used tons of different products (both Department store AND Drugstore brands). So I'm going to start giving you guys the best of the best, and the worst of the worst, in my makeup hall of fame (and shame!) listings.

Today the products I'll be talking about are...FACE PRIMERS. Ah yes, primers. When they first started to become popular we all laughed and thought that it sounded more like painting walls than preparing ourselves for the all important foundation application. I've been using primers for years now, and since I have oily skin, I am not a fan of silicone based primers since they tend to make my skin look oilier. So, these are "creamy" primers and they are all wonderful. Depending on your budget, I've compiled a list:

Department Store Primers:
That Gal Brightening Face Primer
Benefit Cosmetics
Price: $29.00

This primer is a creamy, salmon colored primer. It goes on smooth and brightens up your complexion instantly. The twist up tube makes for easy application of the right amount of product. As we all know with primers, less is more and this helps with that fact. It dries on the face very quickly but doesn't dry your face out. It leaves a smooth finish and definitely helps to keep my foundation last longer throughout the day.
Where to purchase: sephora.com, benefitcosmetics.com, ulta.com, select Nordstrom & Macy's locations.
Oil Free Foundation Primer
Laura Mercier
Price: $30.00

This primer has a very "liquid-like" consistency. It goes on wetter than most primers I've tried but it dries up almost instantly. It almost feels like a silicone based primer once it's on your face, but it's definitely mattifying and gives an even look to your skin. The best part about this primer is that there is A LOT of product in it, more than you usually get in a primer - 1.7 oz. It's a little pricy but I never had any problems with it.
Where to purchase: sephora.com, lauramercier.com, select Nordstrom & Macy's locations.

Drugstore Primers:

Sheer Envy Face Primer
Hard Candy
Price: Varies by Location ($6.99-$8.99)

This primer is wonderful and will last you forever. It's got a thick, white creamy consistency and a little goes a LONG way. There is 1.6 oz of product in here and because it is thicker, it will last a long time. I like the way it makes my face feel prior to putting on my foundation, and Hard Candy, unlike lots of other drugstore brands, never tests on animals! 
Where to purchase: hardcandy.com, makeupalley.com, Walmart stores.

Studio Secrets Professional: Magic Perfecting Base
L'Oreal Paris
Price: Varies by location ($9.99 - $14.99)

Ah yes, probably my favorite primer of ALL time. This primer is amazing. It has a pretty pink color to it which instantly brightens you up, and the primer feels like SILK on your face. My ONLY complaint is that it comes in a jar, because I hate having to get the stuff under my nails, and it IS a bit more pricey than most drugstore makeup wearers are used to, but it's worth it - believe me. If you haven't tried this yet, leave this blog and head on over to your local drugstore NOW.
Where to purchase: ulta.com, Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid locations.

HALL OF SHAME - FACE PRIMER:


"Tricks of the Trade" Anti-Shine Primer
Sephora Brand
Price: $18.00

As a makeup guru, I love Sephora. WE ALL LOVE SEPHORA however, sometimes their own line of products are a hit or miss and this my friends, is a definite MISS. I purchased it because it wasn't too pricey and was "anti-shine" - PERFECT right? WRONG. I tried to give this a chance, but I almost felt like I was putting a gritty exfoliator on my skin instead of a nice, smooth face primer. It was watery and gooey at the same time (does that even make sense?) and I was just extremely disappointed with it. Ugh....
Where to purchase: You obviously know where to purchase it, but please take my advice and DON'T.

0 comments:

Post a Comment